Thursday, February 18, 2010

Joell Ortiz - The Purple Tape Tribute


Joell Ortiz - The Purple Tape Tribute

Not quite sure where I copped this - Either Nah Right or TBE - Ether way, It's this dude, possibly the best rapper with a name that sounds like a baseball player's, going in on some choice cuts from one of my favorite albums of all time, Only Built For Cuban Linx. From the Bronx I wanna say, don't quote me on that. Dude probably can't hold down a whole album, but this set blows me away every time I hear it. The way he bites the rhyme patterns of the originals... It's more homage than tribute, I think, and really artfully done. Shit is dope.

BTW, the Nah Right link above will take you to a page that links to some downloads of him going over various old school beats from a new joint he has coming out called Covering The Classics, but the links are all dead. I D/Led what I could get, which is three tracks and a sampler. I believe you can D/L it whole if you look. I'll upload what I got and post it here, if anyone's interested.

Update: Full Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment