Saturday, November 6, 2010

silkk the shocker - "shock and awe" excerpts



earlier today, word leaked that lattisaw tapes and LWH would be featuring some excerpts from silk the shocker's upcoming book, "shock & awe". after much debate with silk's people, who claimed that this whole idea was just an elaborate joke, we decided to release the excerpts anyway.


Silk on his classic collaboration with Mya
(Transcribed by HL)

Back in 1998 my team was on top of the world. You couldn't tell us a damn thing. Every artist in the game was begging for a Silkk verse. I remember being hella giddy after recieving word from my manager that Mya wanted me to contribute to her album. I was giggling like a little Catholic school girl. You think I wasn't trying to knock that bitch down?!? Case BEEN closed. They flew me out to Atlanta to record what's now known as "Moving On". Classic shit dawg. Her engineer was tripping on some bullshit though. Some Midget Molley lookin' ass nigga. He kept talking bout' "your verse isn't matching up with the track". NIGGA! I'm Silkk the Shocker! I ain't off-beat, I'm just ahead of my time! We went back and forth for hours, until dude just got fed up and dropped the issue. Come to find out, that engineer was actually Jermain Dupri! What's fucked up is that Mya's high yellow ass didn't even show up to the studio session!!! I heard she wasn't feeling the kid like that, and Interscope forced her into the collaboration. That's why I had to sit in the back of the class in the video.





Silk on working with Jay-z
(transcribed by abortatron)


So this was a big moment for hip-hop, at least that's what my brother told me.
this was back before i was really hip to jay-z, but P swore he was dope. i wasn't really impressed to be honest. i asked around and one of my homeboys said that jay had been rapping for a long time, and he couldn't get signed at first. i knew right there that i was gonna smash him on this joint. shit, i BEEN signed since i was 16! me and my team was releasing 3 albums every month! i wasn't intimidated by this clown. so jay comes in and does his verse in one take, so i was like fuck it, i'll knock mine out in one take too. jay knew better than to try that fast rappin' shit around me though. i was the wildest,craziest fastest rapper in the south. i wanted to one-up him, so i decided to record my verse without the headphones on. Craig-B was like "how will you stay on beat if you don't listen on the headphones?" (be on the lookout for the FULL story behind this song, when "Shock & Awe" is released worldwide in 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment